Search McConkie Menu

Monday, September 7, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Bread


I Love Lemons... and I love using my microplane zester! So, this recipe was great on both accounts. This particular bread doesn't hold up super well when you are trying to slice it, so just make sure you use a good bread knife. I also used frozen blueberries, and they worked just fine.
Lemon Blueberry Bread

1 1/2 Cups flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
6 TBSP. Butter, softened
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/2 tsp. Lemon Extract
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed & drained.

3 TBSP. Lemon Juice
1/3 Cup Sugar

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside. In mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add lemon zest and extract & mix. Add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, alternating between the two, and starting & ending with flour. When well combined, fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into 3, medium sized, greased and floured loaf pans. Tap gently on counter to even out batter. Bake @ 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Place on wire rack to cool.

When bread comes out of the oven, mix the remaining sugar and lemon juice in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Simmer until sugar has dissolved. When mixture is ready, poke holes in loaves of bread and spoon mixture over the top (I used a met skewer instead of a toothpick... that's why my holes look huge!). Let soak in pans for about 45 minutes before inverting onto wire rack or plate. Let cool completely before slicing (you can also freeze these. They are much easier to slice once they have been frozen. They will thaw out nicely after they've been cut).

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny about your lemon dishes! I never knew you liked lemon so much! This looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the same thing. . . I don't love lemon desserts, usually. But this looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't love lemon desserts either but I do have a fancy zester so maybe I will give this a try. I also don't love blueberries in most things but this still looks really good.

    ReplyDelete