Search McConkie Menu

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Island Chicken Kebabs

I moved a few weeks ago, and my new oven seems to hate me. Every time I use it I am worried I will burn the house down. Seriously. I made rolls last night and cooked them for much less time than required, and guess what happened? Burned!! My sweet husband humored me and ate them, but they weren't great. I'm thinking its getting back at me for telling it I wished it was gas instead of electric. I will eventually figure this thing out, but for the time being, I am using my crock pot and my awesome little grill as much as possible.

In enter these kebabs. I have made them twice in the last 10 days. They are delicious and flavorful and don't require the use of that darn oven (did I mention there is no window on it? why would an oven ever even be designed without a window? I am seriously at a loss.) You can put any veggies on these kebabs, as long as they will hold up on a skewer. Just make sure you soak your sticks for a few hours before putting them on the grill... otherwise you may get a burned kebab!


Island Chicken Kebabs


1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3-4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch cubes


Fresh Veggies
we like:
pineapple
purple onion
red pepper/orange pepper
zucchini

Mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl or large ziplock bag. Add chicken and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, and up to 10 hours. Soak bamboo skewers for a few hours while the chicken is marinating. At this point I like to slice up all my veggies and set them aside in the fridge. When we are ready to eat, I pull everything out and layer them on the skewers. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, making sure chicken is cooked through and veggies are slightly crisp, but not raw. 



slightly adapted from Mels kitchen cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment